About TFO Canada
Work With Us
TFO Canada improves lives through the creation of sustainable trade partnerships for exporters from developing countries with Canadian and foreign buyers.
TFO Canada confronts the challenge of global poverty by promoting sustainable economic development through export information, advice and contact. TFO Canada facilitates access to foreign markets and shares Canadian trade expertise for the benefit of smaller exporters in developing countries. Founded in 1980, TFO Canada is a non-governmental, non-profit organization.
No opportunities available presently
TFO Canada offers unpaid volunteer roles three times a year (April-June, June-August, September-November) for Ottawa-based volunteers interested in supporting our Canadian market access services and some of our trade capacity building projects, while at the same time gaining experience in research, writing, and results-gathering skills in the fields of international development and trade. Click here for a complete description of this volunteer role and application instructions.
Calling experts on the Canadian import market!
Join our experts in trade roster for exciting new opportunities providing access to companies from developing countries to the Canadian market
TFO Canada is currently seeking to expand its roster of highly qualified and experienced consultants we call TFO Associates. We are inviting experts on the Canadian market and export products to submit a CV by email to email@example.com. Along with completing this application form highlighting your experience.
To join the TFO Canada Associates' roster, consultants should have at least 7 years of experience in a relevant field and, ideally, some previous experience applying technical skills in the context of a developing country, in one or more of the following areas:
- Marketing/branding and market entry for SMEs in Canada
- Market Research (including writing skills)
- Product development process (including product adaptation for export competitiveness)
- Presentation skills (addressing sector specific Canadian market overview and market entry requirements; typically for seminars/workshops aimed at developing countries exporter audience)
- SME Exporters Need Assessment/Market Validation for the Canadian Market Entry
- Organizing targeted B2B meetings with Canadian importers in specific product lines (part of TFO Canada’s Trade Mission Activities: importer identification and recruitment)
- Packaging and labeling
- Compliance with import regulations (e.g. food safety, standards/certifications, tariffs, GAP, HACCP, Organic Certifications, Fair Trade, Kosher, Halal)
- Gender Equality
- Project Monitoring and Evaluation
Expertise in the Canadian import market in one or more of the following sectors/product groups:
- Food products (fresh, processed and frozen consumer-ready foods, beverages and ingredients for the food industry, organic products, products for the gourmet, specialty, ethnic or nostalgic market in Canada)
- Non-Alcoholic Beverages including tea and coffee)
- Clothing, footwear and fashion accessories (including jewellery)
- Home furnishings (including furniture, home textiles and decorative items)
- Personal care and natural health products (including cosmetics)
- Medical supplies and devices (including pharmaceuticals)
- Building materials
- Information and communications technology service outsourcing
- Marble & Granite
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Environmental Management Services
- Outsourcing – software development
- Outsourcing – back office support
- Medical tourism
Please be sure to indicate if you are fluent in languages other than English. TFO Canada works primarily in English, but regularly undertakes assignments that require Spanish or French, although in some cases interpretation support may be provided. All applicants must be eligible to work in Canada.
TFO Canada strives to ensure gender equality for men and women in their participation in TFO Canada’s programs, projects and activities, and also in TFO Canada’s employment, contracting and management opportunities.