Each day TFO Canada publishes a sample of trade news on the Canadian import market along with any new, updated or changed regulations and legislations regarding international trade; countries in which TFO Canada offers services and on the export sectors which it promotes.
New CFIA Requirements for Seafood ImportsWednesday, September 23, 2015 > 09:20:56
We have been advised by CFIA about required information that must be provided in order to obtain the release of aquatic animal shipments.
On March 13, 2013, we advised of a number of additional information elements that were required at that time to ensure an un-interupted CFIA and CBSA release of your shipments. To re-iterate, those additional elements were:
- Taxonomic (scientific) name or the taxonomic serial number (TSN)
- Exact description of the product being imported - including eviscerated or other for finfish, fresh, chilled or frozen excluding fillets
- Full name of the exporter and importer
- Quantity - including number of containers and weight
Country of origin
Effective September 22, 2015, CFIA have added these additional information elements that must be provided in order to continue to ensure that your goods are cleared through both CFIA and CBSA without delay.
- Is the product a "cultured" or "wild" species
- Is the product a "freshwater origin" or "marine origin" species
If the proper information elements are not provided we will do our best to reach out and obtain the missing information in as timely a fashion. Please note, however, we cannot guarantee that your shipment will not be delayed pending receipt of any missing information.
As your customs broker we strive to ensure that your perishable products are cleared without delay. With your help we can continue to provide you with the service that your products demand and that you have come to expect. Please do not hesitate to contact our Trade Compliance Team with questions you may have.